1. Are you available for my dates?
This is so important as it can halt the rest of the questions and make them unnecessary.
2. What exactly is included in your packages?
Why you want to know: When comparing fees, check whether prints, albums and proofs, as well as extra coverage such as engagement shoots, are covered. They can all alter the costs significantly. It's not necessarily a bad thing if, say, your album isn't included—you can always make this on your own or buy it à la carte—but you want to be sure you're comparing apples to apples to get the best value.
3. How many hours of coverage do we get? What is the charge for overtime?
If overtime is going to cost you a ton, you'll be able to plan their hours accordingly.
4. What is the booking fee and total fee?
In addition to this bottom line number, you'll also want to ask when it's due.
5. Do you have backup photographers who will shoot the wedding if you're sick?
If the lead photographer gets sick, he/she makes sure you get an equivalent of him/her to shoot.
6. How long after the wedding do we get to see the photos?
You'll want to see photos ASAP, and the wait can be pretty agonising (it can take months!). But if you know in advance, you can manage your (and your mom's) expectations.
7. Do you have other vendors you recommend?
Everyone has people they love working with. Having teams that know how each other operates can provide more flow to the day.